100-hour Online Hybrid
Yoga has room for all bodies, all abilities, and Seniors are no exception. Later-in-life students come with their own needs, considerations, and expectations. This online training is structured over 4 modules and offers a balance of self-directed study with lectures, readings, and assignments as well as weekly online group sessions hosted by Kristen Beaulieu, where you can ask questions and share experiences.
Explore yoga philosophy and concepts from a later-in-life student perspective.
Together, all 4 modules delve into:
- How to construct a safe, accessible, and effective Yoga class
- Reflections on our images of, and assumptions about, the mature student
- Sequencing asana for Seniors
- Adapting asanas for accessibility
- Vocabulary and Compassionate communication with a late-in-life Yoga student
- Anatomy of the aging body and mind
- Explorations of how to create a Yoga practice for students with Osteoporosis, Arthritis, Diabetes, and other common health concerns of the older student
- Pranayama practices for elder students
Step into a Seniors Yoga class with confidence and a greater understanding of this beautiful student population.
This Teacher Training is intended for those with a passion and desire to work with senior students. Bring more value and personalize your multi-level classes for older students and those with mobility and health issues.
Module 1: Anatomy of Aging
April 17 – May 13, 2023
We all go through an aging process but our individual experiences are uniquely our own while also sharing aspects that are universal. This course has been created to offer a yogic perspective on how and why we age as well as a new understanding of aging that may bring greater joy and vitality to your own aging experience.
Enrollment closes on April 9, 2023
Module 2: Deconstructing the Asana
Diving into the intentions of the asana practice, this module will expand your understanding of the postures of yoga, making practice available to all bodies. Utilizing our sense of play, creativity, and devotion to the practice we will deconstruct and reconstruct our knowledge of asana.
Module 3: The Breath of Life
Breath brings prana, moves this vital energy, and builds life within the body and mind. This module explores key pranayama practices for seniors and how to incorporate them into a classroom setting.
Module 4: To Lift the Spirit
Module 4 dives into the words we use in class and how to best guide our later-in-life students through practice, how we meet our students, and how we create a space that inspires.
Each module requires individual enrolment. All modules must be completed to receive a certificate of completion.
This Training Includes:
- 100 Con-Ed Hours with Yoga Alliance
- Training Manual for each module
- Weekly assignments, lectures, practices and live Zoom gatherings hosted by Kristen Beaulieu
- Membership to the Sacred Elders YTT Graduates Facebook group
- Alumni status which places you on a growing list of teachers trained in Seniors Yoga and able to sub Sacred Elders’ classes.
Steps to Register:
- Click the registration button to complete the Seniors Yoga YTT Registration Form.
- You will receive a confirmation of registration email within 48 of submitting your form.
- Once your registration is confirmed you can enroll in Module 1. All modules must be completed in order, for example, you can not sign up for module 3 before you have completed modules 1 and 2.
Module 5: Mentorship
Enrich your learning with this optional module. You are invited to add 5 hours of mentorship with Kristen Beaulieu to your training. Stay tuned for further information on this offering.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
“Not only did I discover the capacities of an elderly body in all sorts of limitations and health conditions; but I discovered my own capacities to understand more the essence of the asanas and my ability to adapt them to a variety of stations and health conditions. That being said, it has to be done in a slow, gentle, compassionate and respectful manner. Yes, adapted asanas is the doorway, but you need the heart and the soul to get in.”
“The Elders training was packed full of so much great information and provided an all-encompassing perspective of the senior population. Kristen’s passion for seniors and Yoga was positively contagious & we all left the program believing we could make a difference in seniors’ lives by teaching safe and accessible Yoga to them.”
“Kristen is very passionate about this practice and sharing it with others to help better serve our sacred elders. Many of the techniques learned can be brought to all classes taught to help make them more accessible and inclusive to all bodies.”
“What I learned in the seniors training actually applies to all ages with limited mobility or injury. I teach to competitive figure skaters and offered them a seniors-style chair Yoga class after taking Kristen’s training and it was their favourite class of the session.”